I’m a big fan of fast and easy meal ideas, especially ones made from all natural ingredients. My husband is a fan of pasta and Italian food, and this recipe is a winner with both of us! The main part of this recipe can be prepared in a slow cooker early in the day and the cabbage “pasta” can be made in minutes for a fast dinner on busy nights.
What’s in Chicken Cacciatore?
Chicken cacciatore is an Italian chicken dish that is served in a tomato sauce with Italian herbs, garlic, onions, mushrooms, and bell pepper. It is usually served over pasta, but since we don’t really eat pasta, shredded and sautéed cabbage makes an excellent (and more nutritious) substitute.
It may sound strange to use cabbage for noodles, but it is great, especially in this recipe. I love that the kids get extra vegetables, and they enjoy the “pasta” without the need for grain-based noodles. If you aren’t a cabbage fan, you can use a spiralizer to make noodles out of zucchini or another vegetable.
Stovetop, Slow Cooker, or Instant Pot Options
There are a variety of cooking options available for cooking this dish, and the one I choose mostly depends on our schedule for the day.
To cook chicken cacciatore on the stove, simply brown the chicken, sauté the vegetables, and let it all simmer in the tomato sauce for about 30 minutes until it is cooked through.
For the slow cooker, toss everything in except the mushrooms and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2-4 hours. Toss the mushrooms in for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
In the Instant Pot, use the Sauté function to sauté the vegetables and chicken, add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, and spices and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes before a 10 minute natural pressure release. (Here’s why I love this option so much.)
Bulk/Freezer Meal Tip
This recipe is a great option for batch cooking. You can easily double the recipe and put half of it, uncooked, in a freezer container for an easy meal another day. Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then cook in the slow cooker or Instant Pot the next day. If you choose to do this in the Instant Pot, just skip the sauté step and go directly to pressure cooking.
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe (Over Cabbage Noodles)
All the taste of traditional chicken cacciatore made quick, easy, and nutrient-dense served over cabbage noodles.
Slice the onions and bell peppers and mince the garlic.
- If using a slow cooker or Instant Pot, add the vegetables to it.
- Dice the chicken and add it to the vegetables.
- If using a slow cooker, skip to the next step. If using an Instant Pot or the stove top, add 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil and saute until the chicken is browned.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, spices, salt, and pepper and pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker, simmer over medium-low heat on the stove for 30 minutes, or cook on high pressure for 10 minutes in the Instant Pot, with a 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Toss the mushrooms in for the last 30 minutes of slow cooker cooking, or a few minutes on the stove or saute setting of the Instant Pot.
- 10 minutes before the chicken is done, heat the coconut oil or butter in a skillet.
- Very thinly slice the cabbage and saute until soft.
- Serve the chicken mixture on top of the cabbage “noodles.”
Try making a double batch and freezing half of it uncooked for an easy meal another night.
Serving: 3cups | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 1533mg | Potassium: 1496mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 43.7% | Vitamin C: 162.2% | Calcium: 14.4% | Iron: 23.7%